Skip to main content

Thornbills

On the first day of my Wentworth Falls walks I was delighted to find two Lyrebirds scratching by the side of the path. At the sound of my arrival they scuttled off so I missed getting a photograph. I’ll write more about these interesting birds one day when I manage to get a picture.

A little further along the path I saw tiny birds flitting among the low shrubs. I paused, observing them closely so I could look them up in my bird book when I got home – a little chubbier than a wren, their brownish feathers had an olive green tinge in the sunlight and bronze colour at their breast. They turned out to be Brown Thornbills.

Picnic shed near Den Fenella track, Wentworth Falls

Another day, near the shelter shed at the start of the track to Den Fenella, there was similar shaped bird perched in the tree. This one had a full yellow underbelly – a Yellow Thornbill.

Amazing, a week ago I couldn’t have told you what a Thornbill looked like.

Words to Walk With:
Matthew 10:28-33 from Holy Bible – New International version
[Jesus said] “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”

Comments