Skip to main content

Going grey

At the beginning of the walk to Landslide Lookout is where I took some lovely photos of an old man banksia back in February. I was reminded to take a look at what the flowers were like now, so many months after. Here is what I found.

Photo: Old man banksia, Banksia serrata

Words to walk with:
After the skipping rope rhyme in my last post, I am reminded of another schoolday's poem Somebody's Mother by Mary Dow Brine

"The woman was old and ragged and gray
And bent with the chill of the Winter's day.
The street was wet with a recent snow
And the woman's feet were aged and slow.
She stood at the crossing and waited long,
A lone, uncared for, amid the throng ...

At last came one of the merry troop,
The gayest laddie of all the group;
He paused beside her and whispered low,
'I'll help you cross, if you wish to go.'...

Then back again to his friends he went,
His young heart happy and well content.
'She's somebody's mother, boys, you know,
For all she's aged and poor and slow' ...


Comments