Skip to main content

Gallery


When I am out doing the cafes I generally like to take in the galleries too.

Perhaps one of the most famous poems set in an art gallery is Robert Browning's dramatic monologue My Last Duchess. I like this poem, its interesting to recite. Even though it is quite long I learnt it by heart when I was driving down to the city each day and spending more than an hour in bumper to bumper traffic. They say memorising things is good for a health brain -- it certainly beats listening to talk back radio.

Words to walk with:
From My Last Duchess by Robert Browning.
"That's my last duchess painted on the wall,
Looking as if she were alive. I call
That piece a wonder, now: Frà Pandolf's hands
Worked busily a day, and there she stands.
Will't please you sit and look at her? ..."

You will find the full poem here to read the whole drama.

Comments