Skip to main content

Lawson Reservoir


Ooops I have run out of shots and not taken another walk yet ... been very busy in my garden.  So I have gone back and picked a couple more shots from my last walk.

I often notice this house, snuggled as it is beside the water reservoir on the top of the hill.

I looked the Reservoir up on the web. "The Lawson Reservoir is of historical, aesthetic, and technical significance as a key element in the first and current water supply system to Lawson and for its landmark qualities set on the rise above Mary Street and the Great Western highway on the eastern approach to Lawson. The reservoir is one of a series across the upper Mountains that form strong visual elements in the landscape.  The site also contains the remnants of a tennis court and stone walling that pre-date the reservoir use of the site."

The home is facing the highway and looks out on the blue view.   It backs onto Mary Street which I will show you tomorrow.

As for the old tennis court, the current public tennis court (dating from 1902) is opposite our house.  I might show you that on my next walk.

Comments

  1. Strange that the house was built so close to the reservoir. If there's remnants of a tennis court pre-dating the reservoir, could the house pre-date it also? An interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an interesting question.

      It is not an old timber mountain home, looks Californian Bungalow in style which apparently dates from 1910 to 1939.

      The reservoir was built in 1936 which suggests the house is likely to pre-date the reservoir.

      Delete
  2. The house appears to be situated in a precarious location. I guess you don't have earthquakes there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardens like this are a horror to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine they would be a terror to with your wobbly condition. Mind you there are lots and lots of precarious cliffs in the mountains and this one is very mild.

      Delete

Post a Comment