Sunday, 11 May 2008

Mother's Day

My Mum, who came from the south, always spoke with nostalgia of a childhood home where she crunched through autumn leaves. The leaves took on a romance for her young Queensland brood who rarely saw a deciduous tree resplendent in autumn colour -- so much so I was gripped with the idea of living in a cooler climate from quite early on. It's interesting the ways our mother's influence our life choices-- even when they are gone.

Photo: Begonia border with fallen maple leaves, my garden
Last seen surrounded by hail.

Words to walk with:
From A Song For September by Thomas Parsons, 1880
"Sorrow and scarlet leaf,
Sad thoughts and sunny weather.
Ah me, this glory and this grief
Agree not well together!"

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking 4000 photographs of your garden in spring are in order.

    I'm thinking you'll need a hand too.. must start a plan!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agh ... more visitors! But you're welcome, could do with another photo camp.

    ReplyDelete