Skip to main content

And many a hill between

Some years ago we went for a walk down the Valley of the Waters track. The descent is steep and the day was hot. On the tedious return climb I spotted a sign to the Nature track -- easy grade it said. The option was just too tempting, we chose the easy path.

On and on and on and on we trudged. The path never seemed to end. On and on and on it went. How much further I gasped to every walker I passed and noone gave a sensible answer. It climbed, and descended only to climb again. Up and down until we burst out on the cliff top at a place called Edinburgh Castle Rock. I will never forget my horror (and rueful amusement) that day, when looking across the distance we saw our destination, now kilometres away.

This week I decided to revisit the rock, using a much shorter side track to get there.

Photo: View from Edinbugh Castle Rock, Wentworth Falls


Words to walk with:
Today I thought it fit to have a Scottish poem by Robert Burns.
"Of a' the airts the wind can blaw
I dearly like the west,
For there the bonie lassie lives,
The lassie I lo'e best.
There wild woods grow, and rivers row,
And monie a hill between,
But day and night my fancy's flight
Is ever wi' my Jean.

I see her in the dewy flowers -
I see her sweet and fair.
I hear her in the tuneful birds -
I hear her charm the air.
There's not a bonie flower that springs
By fountain, shaw, or green,
There's not a bonie bird that sings,
But minds me o' my Jean."

Comments