Skip to main content

Hairpins

Photo: Hairpin Banksia (Banksia spinolsa)

Each morning my mother brushed her hair, rolled it to the nape of her neck and fixed it in place with thin wire hairpins. She kept that 1940s hairstyle so long I think it could have rolled itself. Today is Mother's Day, I have been thinking of her.


Words to walk with:
Sonnets are full of love by Christina Rosetti
"Sonnets are full of love, and this my tome
Has many sonnets: so here now shall be
One sonnet more, a love sonnet, from me
To her whose heart is my heart’s quiet home,
To my first Love, my Mother, on whose knee
I learnt love-lore that is not troublesome;
Whose service is my special dignity,
And she my loadstar while I go and come
And so because you love me, and because
I love you, Mother, I have woven a wreath
Of rhymes wherewith to crown your honored name:
In you not fourscore years can dim the flame
Of love, whose blessed glow transcends the laws
Of time and change and mortal life and death."

Comments