Skip to main content

Red Robin

I was sitting in the sunroom looking out on the maples. It’s still a few weeks before they colour in our garden, but I noticed a tiny spot of red fluttering like a stray leaf that had already turned. It was a little robin.


Photo: Rose Robin

There are several types of Red Robin – Flame Robin, Scarlet Robin, Red-Capped Robin and Rose Robin. I think this is a Rose Robin. I only ever see them in my garden in the colder months. To me they are a signal that the cold weather is on its way. I was reading that American Robins are a totally different bird which herald the spring. English Robins, included in so many of our childhood stories are also unrelated.

Words to walk with:
A traditional English nursery rhyme
“Little Robin Red breast sat upon a tree,
Up went pussy cat and down went he;
Down came pussy, and away Robin ran;
Says little Robin Red breast, "Catch me if you can".
Little Robin Red breast jumped upon a wall,
Pussy cat jumped after him and almost got a fall;
Little Robin chirped and sang, and what did pussy say?
Pussy cat said, "Meeow!" and Robin jumped away.”

Comments

  1. A beautiful post Joan Elizabeth. The Rose Robin is just so sweet. How wonderful you were able to photograph it :D)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment