Skip to main content

Faithful violets


People wear rosemary sprigs on Anzac day – rosemary is for remembrance. Violets are said to symbolise faithfulness.

I found a native violet by the path in the Fairy Dell at Springwood. You can rely on seeing this lovely plant in damp parts of the forest. It flowers throughout the year.

Photo: Native Violet (viola hederacea)

Which reminds me the sweet violets growing under the trees at the back of my garden usually flower in autumn. I must go down and see if they have survived the drought.

Words to walk with:
Ophelia speaking in Hamlet Act 4 Scene 5 by William Shakespeare
“There's rosemary, that's for remembrance; pray,
love, remember: and there is pansies. that's for thoughts …
There's fennel for you, and columbines: there's rue
for you; and here's some for me: we may call it
herb-grace o' Sundays: O you must wear your rue with
a difference. There's a daisy: I would give you
some violets, but they withered all when my father
died: they say he made a good end,--

Comments